The first complex – a country house that harks back to the Medicis’ style of architecture – was built in the second half of the 15th century on the initiative of Alessandro Sforza. His project was honored by Emperor Frederick III, who, passing in Pesaro in 1452, made the
gesture of laying the first stone of the future Sforza residence.
The second building was built in the first half of the 16th century: it is the wing designed by architect Girolamo Genga, by the will of the Dukes of Urbino, Francesco Maria Della Rovere and Leonora Gonzaga. Genga included a beautiful cycle of frescoes by Francesco
Menzocchi, Raffaellino del Colle, Camillo Mantua and the Dossi brothers.